Gondwana Pioneer Trail
Embark on a 3-night hiking expedition traversing private Big 5 territory through the award-winning Gondwana Game Reserve. Expert trail guides will guide you along extraordinary landscapes, allowing you to experience the intricacies of the reserve’s unique ecosystems, diverse flora, and intriguing wildlife. With tented accommodation, meals, and backpack transfers all taken care of, all you need to do is soak in the beauty of nature’s magnificence.
Set in South Africa’s breath-taking Garden Route, Gondwana Private Game Reserve comprises 11 000 hectares of protected wildlife territory. Here the Pioneer Trail takes you through the wilderness on an incredible 3-night, 4-day hiking expedition. Two full days of hiking on the Pioneer Trail with expert, armed trail guides will have you in awe of vast landscapes, roaming wildlife, and intricate flora. Your camp assistant and guides ensure your safety and comfort throughout the 10 km daily trek along exclusive footpaths and game trails.
The journey along the Pioneer Trail will take you to three remote overnight tented camps where you can relax after each day’s adventure. The camps comprise four en-suite tents. With a maximum of 8 guests, you can be guaranteed an intimate wildlife experience with attention to every detail. Evenings are spent relishing African-inspired meals next to cozy campfires after which magical stargazing and calls of the wild accompany the moonlight.
On arrival at Gondwana, guests are provided with necessary day packs, water bottles, and duffel bags in which to pack overnight belongings for the hiking expedition. Sundowners in the wild and game drives are all part of the adventure, allowing guests to experience a traditional Big 5 game drive in specialized 4×4 safari vehicles as well as experiencing the African wild up-close on foot.
Gondwana’s Pioneer Trail boasts the ultimate slackpacking adventure providing a thrilling and safe immersion into nature.
Driving to Gondwana Game Reserve is a picturesque journey on the N2 highway through the Garden Route. The reserve lies 50 minutes from George, or 4 hours from Cape Town by car. From the N2 you will take the R327 to the reserve.
Flights are available from Cape Town, Durban, or Johannesburg to George airport.
Cape Town to George: 50min
Johannesburg to George: 2hrs
Durban to George: 1h50
Gondwana Game Reserve, South Africa
- Lunch on arrival at Gondwana Game Reserve
- Briefing and preparation for the expedition after which the Trails Team will transfer guests to the first night’s camp in a safari vehicle
- Afternoon tea, Big 5 safari game drive, and sundowners
- On return to camp enjoy dinner and stargazing around a crackling fire
Day 2 and 3
- Breakfast is served before departing for the days hiking expedition with expert guides
- Break for lunch, scenic rest stops, and possible swimming opportunities
- Arrive at the overnight camp at approximately 3 pm where your belongings will already be delivered
- Afternoon tea and time to relax in the tranquillity of nature
- Fireside dining
- A hearty camp fry-up is served before heading on a 4-wheel game drive back to the main lodge for check out
|All Seasons||R12750 pp, 3 nights|
T's & C's
- Includes tented accommodation, daily activities as per itinerary, luggage transfer between camps, all meals, and select local beverages.
- Excludes transfers to and from Gondwana Game Reserve, items of personal nature, and gratuities.
- Guests 12 years and older are welcome
The Adventure Begins!
Have any questions? Contact us or book now!!