Platteklip Gorge is by far the most popular, and busiest Table Mountain hiking route taking you to the top of Table Mountain. Although this is the fastest route up Table Mountain, it is for sure not the easiest route. A relatively good fitness level is required to hike this route to the summit.
Platteklip Gorge is a steep, large stair-like route. The hike is not very technical, and if you are scared of heights, or for being close to edges and want to hike the Front Table, then this hike may suit you best.
We start our ascent from the lower cable car station up Table Mountain’s northern slopes to the Contour Path. This is a beautiful level path running across the front of Table Mountain starring down at the city, and Table Bay. Giving us some time to really take in the mountain and appreciate the surroundings before the path is intersected and we start a steep ascent up Platteklip Gorge.
Platteklip Gorge, meaning flat rock gorge is known for its large flat rocks and impressive ‘Table Mountain sandstone’ cliffs. This Table Mountain hiking route is covered in fynbos, and a river passes through it. You’ll find a variety of fauna and flora around this area.
The route overlooks the City, Table Bay, and Devil’s Peak. On a clear day, you can see out for miles. Platteklip Gorge splits the cliffs of the main plateau, and the angle of the gorge restricts views a little. But don’t let this put you off as this route leads you to the top and the views from the top of Table Mountain are described as one of the most epic in Africa. The route will finish at the top, just minutes from the upper cable car station and we will take the cable car down.
Best Time To Hike
The route receives direct sunlight most of the day. It is getting a bit of shade late in the afternoon when the western slopes block out the sun. This Table Mountain hiking route is best hiked early morning. in the hot summer months.
From Our Hiking Adventures
- We start our hikes at 06:30 – 07:30 am.
- Our guide will be waiting at the meeting point for you.
- The hike takes less than 3 hours to complete.
- Time spent at the top after the hike is up to you.
- We take the cable car down.
Meeting and Parking
- Meet at the lower cable car station.
- It is situated on Tafelberg road, and there is parking alongside the road.
- Take an extension after a hike up Platteklip Gorge, and walk to the highest point on Table Mountain. Maclean’s Beacon a stone-built cairn sitting at 1086 m above sea level, a popular Table Mountain landmark.
Tafelberg Rd, Table Mountain (Nature Reserve), Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
T's & C's
- Prices exclude cable car tickets down which can be bought at the top after the hike.
- Group hikes stay small and we only pair up if fitness levels and expectations match.
|Group hike||Private hike|
|R850 per person||R1250 per person|
The Adventure Begins!
Have any questions? Contact us or book now!