India Venster varies when it comes to difficulty and terrain. It’s relatively steep but mixed with level sections so it is not a constant slump to the top. A relatively good fitness level is required for this hike.
The route starts off by the northern slopes of Table Mountain, also known as the Front Table. On these northern slopes, we hike through India Ravine discovering varieties of Table Mountain’s unique fynbos and fascinating rock formations. There are fantastic viewpoints along this route and we’ll be sure to take some time out to make the most of them looking back over the City of Cape Town, Devils Peak, Lions Head, and Table Bay.
India Venster brings thrill and excitement and isn’t your average hike. Along the route, there are scrambles up rock faces either by using the grooves in the rocks or by staples that have been installed to assist hikers. I like to describe the scramble as exciting and relatively easy, but it can be fairly challenging for some hikers that don’t have the experience. If you are scared of heights and being a little on the edge you may want to consult with a guide to find out if this hiking route is for you.
Once we cross over to the western slopes the route gets a little easier. Here, you’ll be blown away with views over the 12 Apostles, and Atlantic coast as we hike below massive sandstone cliffs to the summit. From the summit, we take a short walk to the Upper cable car station and catch a ride down.
Hiking both the northern and western slopes show you the best of both worlds and it is a great way to see what Table Mountain is all about.
Starting this hike early in the morning is the most recommended time to go. Especially in the hotter summer months, the route is exposed to direct sunlight, and it quickly heats up in the late mornings and afternoons.
- We start our hikes at 06:30 – 07:30 am.
- Our guide will be at the meeting point waiting for you.
- The hike takes less than 3 hours to complete.
- The time spent at the top after the hike is up to you.
- We take the cable car down.
Meeting and Parking
- Meet at the lower cable car station. It is situated on Tafelberg road, and there is parking alongside the road.
- We do ask you to meet us there. It is easier and cheaper for you, and just a short taxi ride from any Cape Town establishment.
Tafelberg Rd, Table Mountain (Nature Reserve), Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
|Group hike||Private hike|
- Prices exclude cable card tickets down which can be bought at the top after the hike.
- Group hikes stay small and we only pair up if fitness levels and expectations match.
Booking a hike with us is easy. Fill out the contact form and then you are ready to go hiking with us. If you are good to go, just let us know and we will book you straight in. We will be back in touch in just a minute to request a few details and to assist you with any questions or personal requests. We are always happy to assist, and love to help you plan your perfect day out with us.