This hike takes us to the edge of the world to the southern-most tip of the Cape Peninsula.
Cape Point must be one of the most beautiful locations in South Africa, and our circular hike shows it to you, best. This is an easy hiking route, it is not steep or strenuous, but there are a few uphill stretches. This is a circular hike through the Good Hope Nature Reserve.
There is a lot to offer on the Cape Point hike. As Table Mountain steals the limelight in the northern proximity of the Cape Peninsula, Cape Points takes it in the South. Not only part of the Table Mountain National park, but it is also part of the Cape Floral Region and the World Heritage Site so be prepared to be spoilt in beauty as we wander through the wild and nature reserve.
The circular hike starts off at Cape Point. We leave the busy tourist hub and start our ascent up some stone steps. This is pretty much the most strenuous part of the hike; the path takes you over a rugged sandstone ridge to the top of a peak. Vasco da Gamma Peak marks a spectacular viewpoint gazing across False Bay and up the east – coast of the Peninsula.
We, then decent over the other side of this peak, and head for the Cape of Good Hope. We pass some overnight mountain huts and spectacular viewpoints along the way. Although these allocated viewpoints are hardly necessary, as we are spoilt with views throughout this hiking route.
We will then join a path along the rocky coastline, a truly beautiful sight to take in. On our left, in the nature reserve, you can find zebra, bontebok, eland, dassies, ostrich, and baboons in the fynbos filled cliffs and landscapes. On our right, the coastline is filled with rock pools and little sandy beaches.
We’ll soon meet the Cape of Good Hope, another fascinating cluster of rock formations jutting out into the ocean. This point marks the most south-western point of the African continent and a regularly visited landmark.
We will head back. This time along the western coastline of Cape Point, the scenery here is out of this world. We continue along the rugged coastline, beneath the magnificent sandstone cliffs surrounding Cape Points signature beach, Diaz beach.
Hiking in the cooler mornings is recommended in the hot summer months. We like to do this hike early to beat the queues entering the Cape of Good Hope Nature reserve.
- This tour picks you up at your Cape Town accommodation at 06:30 – 07:30 am.
- Coastal drive along the Atlantic Seaboard and 12 Apostles.
- Stop at the iconic landmarks and viewpoints along the way.
- Scenic drive along Chapman’s Peak to Cape Point.
- Begin our Cape Point hike.
- The hike takes 3 hours to complete.
- We take a scenic drive back to Cape Town.
- Can visit the African Penguin colony at Boulders Beach (Optional and on request only).
- This tour drops you off at your Cape Town accommodation at 13:00 pm.
Meeting and Parking
- Meeting at Cape Point can also be arranged.
- There is a parking area at Cape point where we start the hike.
Cape Point, Cape Peninsula, Simon’s Town, 7995, South Africa
|Group hike||Private hike|
- Prices exclude cable car tickets down which can be bought at the top after the hike.
- Group hikes stay small and we only pair up if fitness levels and expectations match.
Booking a hike with us is easy. Fill out the contact form and lets get started. If you are good to go just let us know and we will book you straight in. We will be back in touch in just a minute to request a few details as well as assist you with any questions or personal requests. We are always happy to assist and love to help you plan your perfect day out with us.