We are aware that there are probably a million and one things you would like to know and prepare for before getting ready to hike up Table Mountain. We have put together a list of frequently asked questions to help you plan your Table Mountain hike.
What is the best hike on Table mountain?
How long does it take to hike up Table Mountain?
Table Mountain half day hikes take 3 hours and full day hikes take 5 hours. This is an estimate and has an average fitness level factored in. Hike duration varies route depending.
What is the quickest hiking route up Table Mountain?
The quickest and most direct hiking route up Table Mountain is Platteklip Gorge. It takes +/- 2 hours to complete this hike up and 1 hour to get down depending on fitness levels and roughly covers a distance of 3km
What is the best time to hike Table Mountain?
The best time to start a hike up Table Mountain in summer is soon after sunrise between 6-7 am. Nothing beats a hike up Table Mountain in the early hours of the morning. It beats the heat later in the day during Cape Towns hot summer months and provides peace and tranquillity during the hike. During Cape Town winters it is a lot cooler and the best time to hike Table Mountain varies.
How fit must you be to hike Table Mountain?
Table Mountain is steep and we will hike at your pace, although a relatively good fitness level is required to summit Table Mountain,
Do we stop for rests?
Yes resting is a must when hiking Table Mountain, rest breaks are allocated at beautiful lookout spots along the way.
What if we don’t want to continue the hike?
It is your hike, our hikes can be tailor made to suit our clients, what ever they choose. We can look at options to re-route or you can end the hike if you wish.
What if the weather conditions are not suitable?
If the weather is not suitable on the day and the client would not like to reschedule the hike, then a full refund will be issued. We liaise with clients before hand so we shouldn’t have this problem. We constantly monitor weather forecasts and we will alter any hiking experience accordingly.
How do we get there?
Clients generally choose to take their own transport, as it is generally a short ride and low cost from anywhere in Cape Town. It also free’s up opportunity for hikers to spend time exploring the top and visiting the restaurant after the hike.
Where do we meet the guide?
At our designated meeting spots which are either at the lower cable car station on Tafelberg road or at the start of a route close by, they are clearly marked and easy to find.
Why use a Table Mountain guide?
- A guide will liaise with you and pair you with a hike according to you expectations, experience and fitness levels.
- Our guides are trained to assist you in various situations, from changing climates to a struggling hiker.
- Check and access the weather reports in advance, this may result in changes to routes and times.
- Extensive knowledge and experience provides you with a safer and more fulfilling experience on Table Mountain
- Years on the mountain will introduce you to the most enjoyable routes and beautiful lookout spots Table Mountain has to offer.
- Although table mountain is hiked by many without a guide, these hikers are usually locals, with great experience and an understanding Table Mountain’s environmental hazards.
Do the guides have special training?
Of course, all guides are registered at the department of Economic development and tourism and are train under the Cathsette regulation as accredited mountaineering guides.
How big are the groups?
Group sizes are always small with an absolute max of 8 people, although it very rarely gets to that. It may just yourself or a couple more travellers may join in too. We always acknowledge expectations and fitness levels of our clients and will never pair a group together if we don’t think it would make a good match.
Do you take private hikes on Table Mountain?
Yes we do private Table Mountain hikes. Private hike are charged accordingly, generally the cost for a private hike is 1.5 times more than a normal hiking tour.
Do we need to book?
Yes booking in advance is both recommended and helpful to us. There is a lot of planning a preparation that goes into our guided Table Mountain hikes and giving us some time helps us to arrange your perfect hiking trip.
Can we eat there?
Sure you can, you may eat snacks on the hike if you wish, Table Mountain’s restaurant on the top offers a wide variety of food and drinks and there is certainly something there for everybody.
What must we wear? What must we bring?
- 1.5 liters of water is recommended, bringing more never hurts although too much will add weight to your hike.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, camera.
- Back pack (not essential)
- Good hiking shoes / solid trainers
- Comfortable loose fitting clothing.
- Summer hiking involves shorts and t-shirt hiking, although it is always advised to carry a warm layer in case the climate changes.
- Winter hiking will be a different story, bring a water proof jacket and wear layers and adjust accordingly during the hike . A fleece is a great way to keep warm in winter hiking. Loose comfortable trousers are recommend although winter hiking in shorts is also common. Feel free to bring gloves hat.