Sanbona Explorer Camp
Join a professional game ranger for a 2-day hiking experience through the Sanbona Big 5 Private Game Reserve. If you are all about adventure and experiencing the bushveld in its authentic, untouched form, this is the perfect expedition for you. Stay in an off-the-grid tented camp surrounded by nature. Warm summer evenings are spent dining around campfires and gazing at magnificent glistening starry skies.
Tucked amidst the Warmwaterberg Mountains in the Klein Karoo, Sanbona Wildlife Reserve is an exclusive 5-star reserve only 3-hours’ drive from Cape Town. The 58 000-hectare wilderness sanctuary offers magnificent landscapes, river valleys, and mountains brimming with indigenous flora and fauna.
Sanbona is the only place in the world with free roaming and self-sustaining white lions. But don’t let that worry you, since you are always accompanied by highly experienced game rangers who place your safety first at all times.
A four-wheel safari drive will transfer you from reception to the Explorer Camp. You will have the opportunity to see the African Big 5 as well as an abundance of other wildlife including springbok, eland, kudu, giraffe, zebra, warthog, and aardvark. On arrival at the camp, your 2-day off-the-grid expedition gives you the opportunity to appreciate the finer intricacies of the bush.
Sanbona Explorer Camp offers three canvas tents sleeping a maximum of two people each on stretcher beds. Each tent is equipped with sheets, duvets, pillows, towels, and en-suite facilities are available on request with a bucket shower, chemical toilet, and canvas basin. Guest amenities include insect repellent, sanitary bags, as well as biodegradable shower gel and shampoo.
Whether it’s an adventure or the serenity of the wilderness that you’re after, Sanbona Explorer Camp offers a unique experience. You can’t get much closer to the African wild than this.
A 3-hour road trip on the renowned Route 62 will get you from Cape Town to Sanbona Game Reserve. The reserve turn-off is 40 km from Montague with the main entrance 7 km off the R62.
Sanbona hosts a private airstrip for small charter flights and helicopter landings on the reserve. Private air transfers may be dependent on the weather.
Sanbona Private Wildlife Reserve, South Africa
- Your arrival day at Sanbona Explorer Camp allows you to settle in at a relaxed pace, familiarize yourself with the camp, and simply soak in the magnificence of the surrounding nature.
- Day 2 calls for an early morning start to avoid the heat of the day. Light morning snacks and coffee can be enjoyed before setting off on your first 4-hour hike.
- On return to camp, you can enjoy a hearty brunch and then relax in a hammock or explore a little more of the wild. A light lunch is followed by an afternoon hike and sundowners in the bushveld. Cozy campfire dinners are always a highlight and bring the day’s adventures to a star-studded close, literally.
- Your third day at camp offers an optional morning hike with a delicious bush breakfast before departing back to the Sanbona Welcome Lounge by midday.
|Peak season||High season|
|R6690 pp, per night||R5860 pp, per night|
T's & C's
- Includes tented accommodation, daily activities as per itinerary, all meals, and selected beverages.
- Excludes transfers to and from Sanbona Game Reserve, selected beverages, items of personal nature, and gratuities.
- Suitable for guests 16 – 60 years
The Adventure Begins!
Have any questions? Contact us or book now!